7.14.2011

The Sicily Saga.

Today has been thoroughly unproductive in the conventional sense.  I still have a massive amount of packing to complete, but I did knock another film off my Netflix instant queue (even though I'm still mad at those price-hiking fools, Netflix streaming now runs in my veins and I just.can't.stop)  I polished off the David Lynch classic Blue Velvet.  I have seen many odd films in my day, so I was somewhat desensitized to the surrealist nature of the film, but I was still enthralled and amazed.  Framing the traditional suburban neighborhood as a dystopia was a brilliant move on Lynch's part.  Dennis Hopper's character was unforgettable and utterly frightening.  His performance was tortured and psychotic, and he expelled many quotable lines throughout the film.  I know this gem had me laughing: 
"HEINEKEN?! FUCK THAT SHIT-PABST BLUE RIBBON!" 
Well I wanted to tell you a few things about my Sicily trip I returned from recently.  This trip was an amazing experience.  I was only able to go on the trip because my university (Virginia Commonwealth University) paid for it.  I will forever be grateful for the scholarship and grant they bestowed upon me because money has been sparse in my household for quite some time and I didn't think a study abroad program was even possible.  When my film professor announced a chance to study Mediterranean film in Sicily, I mean, how could I refuse?  Not knowing Italian was a bit of problem over there, but I managed (mostly with help from my friend Kate who could actually speak in sentences and not clumsily gargled words).  I was with a varied group of students from VCU (mostly film majors which is different from the cinema major here) but I consider myself lucky because this particular group was wonderful.  They are all such friendly, funny, and interesting folks.  They actually made me feel likable and much less curmudgeonly.  This trip has too many details and emotions folded into it to describe on a blog.  It did, however, inspire me to write short stories and poems which I will share when the time is right.


 This is the interior of a cathedral in Palermo, Sicily.  I love the way Jesus draws me toward him with those golden hues.
 This black sand was at a beach at the foot of the volcano, Stromboli, in the Aeolian Isles.
 This was taken near the open-air market in Palermo, Sicily.

1 comment:

  1. Cool, I see you got the comments open; love the photos, hated that movie!

    ReplyDelete